Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 70 minutes
Cook: 70 minutes
Serves 6 people
A delightfully creamy gnocchi with our warming Traditional Genovese Pesto, this recipe is perfect for the times when you want to spend time and effort on your pasta dish.
1kg large potatoes, such as Red Skin Désirée or Maris Piper
200g plain flour, with a little extra for dusting
2 large eggs, beaten
200g frozen peas, blanched
200g Cavolo Nero leaves, stalks removed, blanched
½ Jar Traditional Genovese Pesto
75g Parmesan, to serve
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Step 0: Heat an oven to 180C/Fan 160C/Gas Mark 4. Place the potatoes on a tray and bake for an hour, until the middle is soft.
- Step 1: Remove the potatoes from the oven and once cool enough to handle with a cloth or rubber glove, cut along the potato and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Once you have done this, push the potato flesh through a potato ricer. If you do not have one of these, a sieve will work too.
- Step 2: Place the flour in a large bowl, or on a clean work surface then place the potato on top of this and add salt and pepper to season. Make a well in the middle of the potato and add the eggs. Then using your hands, bring everything together until just combined to form a dough, taking care not to overwork it as it can make the gnocchi chewy.
- Step 3: Set the dough aside and if necessary, clean the work surface. Dust the surface and a baking tray with some of the remaining flour.
- Step 4: Flatten the dough into a square around 2-3cm thick. Cut the square into 2-3cm strips, then using your hands, roll it gently into a round sausage shape, and cut with a knife into 2-3cm pieces. Place the gnocchi on the floured tray and repeat until all the strips are cut.
- Step 5: Place a large pan of salted water on a high heat to boil. When boiling, add half the gnocchi to the pan and wait for them to rise to the surface. Cook them for a further 20 seconds then remove and allow to drain. Wait for the water to boil before adding the remaining gnocchi and repeat.
- Step 6: Remove the water from the pan, and replace with the vegetables. Add the gnocchi and stir through the Genovese Pesto until warmed. Divide between bowls and finish with freshly grated Parmesan.